Thursday, October 7, 2010

Curiouser and curiouser

I wonder if I've been changed in the night? Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same, the next question is 'Who in the world am I?' Ah, that's the great puzzle!
                                                                               -Alice (in wonderland)

It occurred to me tonight that I am in such a different place now than I was even 6 months ago. Starting college again was something I knew I was going to do the first year I was there. Three years and I get two degrees, sounded like great plan! When summer was ending I did start to worry, I mean one more year and I would be out in the real world, trying to save money to go to the Art Institute of Seattle.

The interesting thing now is, while I still am going to strive to get there, I don't feel the same need to go that I did for so long.

I mean, I have changed so much so quickly! I used to be so overwhelmed by the idea of learning web design, but now I love to go to my HTML class, and it amazes me how much can be taught without real understanding. When I started to learn web, they tossed Dreamweaver at us and showed us how to work the menus, and in my head it was all about knowing what button combination made things happen the way I wanted. We were all so frustrated then, going to school was a drag when we knew we had that class! Now that im learning the text behind the page, all those stupid menus I used are starting to make real sense! I know what I am doing now.

Now I have a blog, that I blog in 6 out of 7 days of the week or more, and an Etsy shop for anything and everything I feel like sharing with others, I have even had a couple sales already!

But I didn't stop there, I am learning how to use AdSense, so that one day blogging may earn me a little bit of extra money, just maybe. I have a Google Analytics account, and am able to see how well my blog and Etsy are both doing, and even where the visitors have come from around the world! I have even purchase giannamorrill.com and kuriio.com as my own. Kuriio.com, with a little help from some awesome people, is for now the URL to this blog. The other site will eventually become my vanity site/ design portfolio.

All of that is so new to me, I am constantly learning something new, and I always feel like I have been productive during my day.

I have also been very busy with my first, long distance, long term client! I have had a steady steam of income, and a steady stream of work, both sewing and design from the client. It sure keeps me busy, but starting my own business was something I knew I was going to do since I was small.

When I was younger, like my teens (I am 20. haha) I used to say the type of job I was going to have was going to be a "pink collar" job. Not like the blue collars and the white collars, I knew I wasn't going to sit behind a deck full time or work a labor job. I needed something in between, something where I could and can make the rules up as I go along.


Really, I am just amazed that in less than 6 months I have changed so much, I have even learned to drive, and i enjoy it! Thats something I never thought was going to be possible!

And now, moving forward, learning more, and progressing myself and my business is becoming an addiction for me!

“"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?”
                                    -Alice (in Wonderland)

No comments:

Post a Comment